
Many Eagle Eyed players welcome the new ability to challenge ball and strike calls in this spring training game, but the Cincinnati Reds are not taking part in the lookout.
Manager Terry Francona told reporters last Friday that he doesn’t want his major leaguer to start the assignment as he has no option during the 2025 regular season.
MLB implemented a trial program this spring, where pitchers, catchers or batters can call for a replay review of the referee’s ball or ask for strike calls that they disagree with. The automatic ball and strike (ABS) system has previously been used in minor leagues and challenges will be offered through class AAA levels this season, but will be used in majors at least a year away.
“It’s okay to see the younger kids doing it because I did it,” Francona said. “It’s not a strategy for the (MLB team) so why work on it? I don’t want to make any farces, but we’re preparing for the season here, so it’s just that we’re ready to do. It doesn’t help you do it.”
Not all spring training ballparks have access to the new ABS system. In Arizona, there are five dual-team stadiums, including the Reds in Goodyear and the Guardians home in Cleveland. In Florida, eight different parks are equipped with ABS technology.
Everything is red: Latest Cincinnati Reds News, schedules, rosters, statistics, injury updates, and more.